I'm teaching today at Ridley, Cambridge on Consumerism & Ecclesiology, looking forward to that after my first time there a few months ago.
I've just put together the resources for the first course this Autumn for the Global Missional Leadership learning community. With the texts I've chosen, I'm hoping students and others following along will get a good introduction to the landscape of church, world and leadership, theologically, historically, theologically, and terms of social theory.
The idea is the get a birds eye view of the landscape for these three domains, Church, World & Culture, before moving into some of the specific challenges they pose in the start of the 2010 term.
Anyone is welcome to join in with the reading with us, and blogging that will take place here around these subjects.
If you like the look of the materials below and want to join in, you can find out more and join the learning community at www.gmldmin.org or www.reflectivepractice.net. Also if you fancy doing the D.Min itself you can get more information and sign up here.
So the books are are likely to be:
In advance as preparation for the F2F time 1-10th September 2009 1. Heath, J., and Andrew Potter. The Rebel Sell: How the Counter Culture Became Consumer Culture. Chichester: Capstone Publishing Ltd, 2005. (360 pages)
During the Autumn/Fall after the F2F time 2. Miller, Vincent J.. Consuming Religion: Christian Faith And Practice in a Consumer Culture. London: Continuum International Publishing Group, 2005. (256 pages)
3. Healy, Nicholas M.. Church, World and the Christian Life: Practical-Prophetic Ecclesiology (Cambridge Studies in Christian Doctrine). Cambridge studies in Christian doctrine. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000. (200 pages)
4. Grenz, Stanley, A Primer on Postmodernism, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1996 (196 pages)
5. Fairholm, Gilbert W.. Perspectives on Leadership. Westport, Conn: Quorum Books, 1998. (192 pages)
6. Wheatley, Margaret J.. Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World Revised. 2nd ed. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2001. (198 pages)
7. Vries, Manfred Kets De. The Leadership Mystique: A User's Manual for the Human Enterprise. London: Financial Times Prentice Hall, 2001. (256 pages)
8. Guder, Darrell L., and Lois Barrett. Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America (The Gospel and Our Culture Series). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1998. (280 pages)