Just getting round to mulling over the discussion day outcomes we had in June. I think as I work through the stuff we discussed I'll blog it here, starting with the question who and what is Emergent UK?
- Emerging Church is much bigger than Emergent, and broader, and we would not assume to speak on behalf of the Emerging Church.
- We consider ourselves very involved in aspects of Emerging Church, whilst having our own distinctives, flavor and focus.
- We recognise and value that people are connecting to Emergent in multiple ways, outside this web site, organised events and conversations. No-one owns or controls Emergent in the UK. We do not presume to speak on behalf of, or in totality for everyone that feels part of Emergent in the UK.
- We are a clearinghouse for conversations about church.
- We provide safe spaces/places for those conversations.
- We have these conversations in order to ask questions, to bond over common questions, and live out of a place of questioning.
- Questioning: it is the conversational questioning that defines us, not definitive and set answers.
- Half Baked: we are 'half-baked, never seeking to be fully formed.
- Open Source: publicly accessible in part or in whole.
- Responsive: responding to peopleâ€™s questions.
- Distributive: getting out what we already have.
- Creative: making, creating, producing.
- Connecting: conversations and relationships.
- Non-profit: as cheap as possible.
- Generous: trying to get stuff to people as well as we can.
- Empowering: of the people who are creating conversations?
- Gifting: of each other's gifts and abilities towards the production of our resources.
- Multiple Voices: male and female, young and old, etc.
- Accountable: Open to critique.
- Missional: to effect change in the church.
- Holistic: whole life engagement.
- Positive: We have a deep love for the Church Catholic in it's many diverse forms, and value our participation in them.
- Congregational: Actively and positively involved in a local congregation/tribe/community, whatever form that takes.
- Self Directed/Motivated/Participatory: Emergent is what people make of it not what someone invites or asks them to do.
- Conjoining: Non-polarising, that theory and practice go together, that theology and praxis are inseparable. History of Emergent in the UK
We have a history that began in 1999, and now has over 1,200 people connected through this limited avenue in various ways.
The Emergent-UK Name
Emergent is a name we use to show our connection to Emergent, as an international group. Like a family name, it leads people to our primary connection. We may change it if it becomes confusing with name change re-association over time.